- Fall is a perfect time to hike at Cape Hatteras Nationwide Seashore, with milder climate and fewer crowds. You may spot migrating birds alongside the paths and revel in scenic views of the shoreline.
- The Buxton Woods Path is a lovely and pleasant hike, providing a 0.8-mile loop by way of forests of Southern Pink Cedar and Dwell Oak timber. It is not too tough, however parts could also be muddy after heavy rain.
- The Bodie Island Lighthouse Boardwalk and Viewing Platform gives scenic views of the Cape Hatteras Lighthouse and the coast. It is a common spot within the fall for birdwatching and taking photographs, and the platform is open year-round besides throughout excessive climate.
Cape Hatteras Nationwide Seashore, one of many best parks to hike in North Carolina, presents quite a lot of scenic climbing alternatives, seashores, and water trails to benefit from the coastal panorama even throughout fall. Milder climate and fewer crowds make it a perfect time to identify migrating birds alongside trails, seashores, and marshlands. Iconic spots just like the Cape Hatteras Lighthouse, Buxton Woods Path, and Bodie Island Lighthouse present views of the shifting seas, crashing surf, and birds flying overhead.
Previous to visiting, it is advisable to know the climbing and paddling routes at Cape Hatteras Nationwide Seashore that showcase the pure fantastic thing about the Outer Banks throughout fall migration and move by way of beautiful towns in North Carolina resembling Nags Head, Kill Satan Hills, and Manteo.
Buxton Woods Path
Somewhat woman climbing on a path in North Carolina
The Buxton Woods Trail is a 0.8-mile rounded loop trail positioned close to the Pea Island Nationwide Wildlife Refuge. Even within the fall season, the path passes by way of forests of Southern Pink Cedar and Dwell Oak timber together with scrubs and shrubs. Guests can spot migratory birds within the space throughout fall.
Whereas the Buxton Woods Path isn’t one of many toughest hiking trails in North Carolina, it’s a lovely and pleasant hike nonetheless.
- No charges for using the path
- Parts of the path could also be muddy or flooded after heavy rain
Bodie Island Lighthouse Boardwalk And Viewing Platform
Bodie Island Lighthouse in Nags Head, North Carolina at golden hour
The Bodie Island Lighthouse Boardwalk and Viewing Platform gives scenic views of the Cape Hatteras Lighthouse and the encircling areas. The boardwalk trail is only 0.4 miles long however leads guests to an remark deck that overlooks the coastal banks and waters.
Throughout fall, sights like migrating birds, a breezy shoreline, and the long-lasting black-and-white striped lighthouse make this a preferred spot.
- No charges required
- The platform is open all 12 months besides throughout excessive climate
The platform presents the chance for birdwatching and taking memorable photographs.
Open Ponds Path
Cape Hatteras Lighthouse within the Outer Banks
This Open Ponds path travels by way of a coastal marsh and pond system positioned between Avon and Buxton. The 8.9-mile loop trail passes by way of a maritime forest and presents scenic views of salt marshes and open waters throughout completely different elements of the 12 months.
Fall is a wonderful time to identify numerous migrating birds within the space alongside the ponds and trails.
- No charges for using the path
- Boardwalks can flood throughout excessive tides so put on applicable footwear
Kitty Hawk To Corolla Bike Path
Signal for Cape Hatteras Nationwide Seashore in North Carolina, USA.
Spanning 21 miles from Kitty Hawk to Corolla alongside NC Freeway 12, this paved multi-use path attracts many bike riders even throughout fall. Cyclists can take pleasure in scenic views of the seashores, dunes, and marshes alongside the route.
Fall is a perfect time to go to the Outer Banks, because the climate is milder and crowds are much less. Plus, it is also a incredible space for driving, not simply climbing and biking; with its gorgeous surroundings and abundance of actions, the Outer Banks is likely one of the best places to visit for a road trip in the Carolinas in summer, fall, winter, and spring (basically, it is a year-round vacation spot even exterior peak season).
- No charges required
- Helmets are beneficial for security
Hammock Hills Nature Path
A view of Cape Hatteras Lighthouse in Cape Hatteras Nationwide Seashore, North Carolina, USA
This oak-hickory hammock surrounded by marshland accommodates a 0.8-mile loop climbing path. The path presents scenic coastal views together with an opportunity to identify numerous crops and wildlife nonetheless current throughout fall.
Migratory birds could be seen alongside the salt marsh areas close to the path presently of the 12 months. The flat, self-guided loop path makes for a brief however scenic hike amidst the autumn foliage.
- No charges required
- Shut-toed footwear are beneficial because the path may be muddy after rains
South Virginia Dare Path
Cape Hatteras Nationwide Seashore, California
Stretching 14.1 miles alongside Cape Hatteras Nationwide Seashore from Ramp 43 to Ramp 49, this flat and extensive multi-use South Virginia path runs parallel to NC Freeway 12.
It gives breathtaking views of the cape’s seashores and dunes. Guests can often spot shorebirds and raptors alongside the path throughout fall migration season.
- Parking charges apply at trailheads ($15 at Bodie Island Gentle Station)
- Parts of the path shut after storms to guard wildlife nesting areas
Cape Hatteras Lighthouse
Cape Hatteras Lighthouse at night time underneath the celebs
Climbing to the highest of this iconic black-and-white striped lighthouse gives scenic ocean views spanning from Cape Level to Avon. The views from Cape Hatteras Lighthouse are gorgeous even throughout fall with migratory birds flying overhead.
At 208 ft tall, it’s the tallest lighthouse within the US. Be ready for the 257 steps required to entry the fully-restored Fresnel lens.
- $10 for adults to climb the lighthouse
- Climbing could also be restricted throughout inclement climate
Pamlico Sound Paddle Route
Wanting northeast towards Pamlico Sound
This scenic 12.6 km one-way paddle route runs alongside the western facet of Hatteras Island between hyperlinks to Ocracoke Island.
Paddlers can benefit from the fall surroundings of marshlands, tidal creeks, and wildlife whereas trying throughout the expansive waters of Pamlico Sound throughout the milder climate within the fall. Benefit from the cooler climate and colourful reflections on the water.
- $10 parking charge on the public boat ramps
- Life jackets are required for all boaters
Cape Hatteras Seaside
Cape Hatteras Seaside in NC
The buckle in these barrier islands presents lovely extensive seashores for strolling all alongside Cape Hatteras Nationwide Seashore. Throughout fall, seashores present scenic views of the shifting sands and crashing surf. Guests may spot dolphins, seabirds, and shorebirds alongside the cape seashores.
When in Cape Hatteras, guests can take pleasure in a few of the best North Carolina hiking trails and discover the distinctive natural world of the Outer Banks.
- Free and open for public use
- Don’t depart valuables unattended on the seaside
Ocracoke Pony Pens Viewing Space And Pony Seaside
The Ocracoke Pony Pens on Ocracoke Island
Only a quick stroll from the Ocracoke Day Use Space results in a fenced viewing space of the wild Ocracoke Ponies.
Past this, the 0.3-mile stretch of Pony Beach gives scenic views of the ponies and alternatives to identify migratory birds throughout Pamlico Sound throughout fall.
- The day-use space parking charge is $15 per automobile
- Don’t feed or contact the ponies
Entry roads might flood at excessive tide.